When you suffer from facial or jaw pain related to temporomandibular joint dysfunction, it can disrupt your life. Something that most of us take for granted such as eating certain foods, talking, sleeping or even yawning can be difficult due to the pain or immobility.
What is a temporomandibular joint (TMJ)?
There is a temporomandibular joint on each side of your jaw that connects your jaw to your skull. These joints are small but complex. The joints roll and glide in motions that allow us to talk, chew, yawn, etc.
Pain, discomfort or immobility in this area can be due to problems with the joint, with the disc or the muscles that surround the joint. At Achieve Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine of St. Petersburg, we are able to address and help treat each of these problems and the symptoms they cause.
What are symptoms of Temporomadibular Disorder (TMD)?
- Pain in one or both sides of the face
- Headaches (headaches could also just be in the morning and may be a sign that you are clenching or grinding your teeth at night.)
- difficulty chewing or painful chewing
- clicking of the jaw
- locking of the joint in either an open or closed position
- hypersensitive spots around the joint or face
- joint weakness
- ringing in ears, ear ache or ear pain but no infection
- clenching or grinding teeth
- Neck pain or stiffness of neck
How we help get you relief.
Acupuncture stimulates the release of endorphins and other biological chemicals that help to alleviate pain. These biological chemicals are commonly called the “natural pain killers” that our body produces.
Our treatments will help to relax the tension of the muscles surrounding the TMJ in order to improve natural function.
Our treatments also help to reduce stress and anxiety that can be a major factor that contributes to Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD).
Visit WWW.ACHIEVEACUIM.COM to learn more.
Or to schedule your consultation call 727-272-3587